Patrick, a member of our Chapter of the National Railway Historical
Society and the long-time Director of Museums at the City of Bowie,
passed away on August 24, 2007 after a short illness. Besides being
a member of our railroad family and a lover of trains, history,
and museums, Stephen was instrumental in supporting the creation
of the Martin F. O'Rourke Memorial Railroad Library at Bowie Tower.
Below we reprint the information about Stephen that was provided
at the memorial service on August 30, 2007.
Stephen, our friend, we miss you, but you will live on in the Library
you helped us create." - J. Lilly, President
was born April 24, 1963 to William E. and Mary Kathryn Patrick and
lived throughout his childhood and teen years in Timonium, Maryland.
He attended Timonium Elementary, Ridgely Junior High and graduated
in the top five percent of his class from Dulaney Senior High School
a youth, he was active as an acolyte at the Church of the Holy Comforter
in Lutherville, Maryland. He was interested in antique cars, American
history, and was an avid Anglophile - passions that would carry
throughout his life. Even as a child, he knew without a doubt that
when he grew up, he wanted to be a museum curator.
was active in the Boy Scout Troop 832 along with his father. He
eventually earned the Eagle badge by mobilizing volunteers to help
restore an antique streetcar at the Baltimore Street Car Museum.
His outgoing personality enabled him to excel as a thespian in the
Dulaney Senior High Drama Club, performing in such productions as
Our Town, "A Mid-Summers Night Dream", "Guess Who's
Coming to Dinner" and "The Rainmaker." He will always
be remembered for his hilarious portrayal of Lady Bracknell in Oscar
Wilde's "The Importance of Being Ernest."
was accepted into the University of Delaware's Honors program and
earned two Bachelor of Arts degrees -one in American Studies and
one in Russian Language. He graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta
Kappa. While at the University of Delaware he received decorative
arts training at the Henry Francis DuPont Winterthur Museum. His
honors thesis was on Baltimore Architecture from 1730-1830.
then pursued and earned his Master of Arts degree in American Studies
from the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.
He completed his masters mhesis on Consumerism in the Chesapeake
Region from 1720-1780. Upon finishing his coursework at William
and Mary, Stephen was a Researcher for the Historic Annapolis Foundation
in Annapolis, Maryland. He then took a position as a curatorial
intern with the Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia,
which was followed by the opportunity to become the Assistant Curator
of Philadelphia's Masonic Library and Museum during the late 1980's.
1989, Stephen moved to Alexandria, Virginia to become the curator
with the George Washington Masonic National Memorial. He completely
reinterpreted the existing museum exhibition and applied current
curatorial methods. During his association with the Masons, Stephen
combined his professional interests with his personal interests
by proceeding to embark on the initiation process into the Masonic
then took a position as the Executive Director at the Hammond-Harwood
House, a 1774 National Historic Landmark Georgian house museum with
important regional decorative arts in Annapolis, Maryland. During
this time, Stephen resided in Annapolis.
October of 1995, Stephen embarked on what was to become one of his
greatest challenges. He was hired by the City of Bowie (Maryland)
to assume the new position of the Director of the Belair Mansion,
the original colonial plantation of the Provincial Governor of Maryland,
Samuel Ogle and his son, Governor Benjamin Ogle. The Mansion is
listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has a rich
history within Maryland's horse racing circles. The mansion had
been purchased in 1898 by the wealthy banker James T. Woodward,
and then was bequeathed in 1910 to his nephew, William Woodward,
Sr., a well-known horseman. As part of the estate, the Belair Stable
produced many champion horses. Belair was the oldest continually
operated thoroughbred horse farm in the country. It is said that
the blood of Belair horses flows through the veins of every American
race horse of distinction. From 1923 to 1953, Belair Stud horses
won over 600 races. Included in their victories were numerous important
stakes races and five of their horses were voted into the National
Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. The stable won the prestigious
U.S. Triple Crown races: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes,
and the Belmont Stakes with such famous horses as Gallant Fox, Omaha,
his arrival, Stephen found that the house had been lovingly saved
by a local volunteer organization "The Friends of Belair Estate,"
but to date had never had a professional curator working with them.
Stephen poured his heart and soul into researching and working diligently
with the city and the volunteers to bring the mansion and its stable
historic accuracy, preserving and greatly expanding the existing
collection, increasing its notoriety, and instituting programs that
would reach out and educate both visitors and the community. During
his tenure, he opened several new museums, managing and growing
many facilities, including the Belair Mansion and Stable, the Bowie
Railroad Station Museum, the Huntington Museum, the Radio and Television
Museum, the Prince Georges' County Genealogical Library, and his
latest project, the Old Town Bowie Welcome Center which opened in
2006. These endeavors were made possible by the wonderful support
of The Friends of Belair Estate, the Huntington Heritage Society
and the Heritage Committee, the Radio History Society and the Prince
George's County Genealogical Society.
on the official website of the Ogle Family, the original owners
of the Belair Mansion, reads: "In dedication to Stephen Patrick,
Director of the City of Bowie Museums, who along with his wonderful
staff and many years of hard work has made Belair Mansion the show
place that it is today."
was also a member of the faculty of the Welch Center for Graduate
& Professional Studies at Goucher College in Baltimore, Maryland
where he taught courses for their Historic Preservation Certificate
Program, including "Managing and Funding a Historic Preservation
Stephen, in his spare time, was an active member and supporter of
many professional history museum organizations including the Association
of Railway Museums (serving on the board and as Vice President),
the American Association of Museums, the Small Museum Association,
the Museum Education Roundtable, the Prince George's County Historic
Museum Consortium, the Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens, the
Virginia Association of Museums, the William and Mary Gay Alumni
Association, the One in Ten Museum Project, Arlington County's Jamestown
2007 Celebration and numerous other charities and concerns.
was an ardent admirer and enthusiast of antique cars and belonged
to the Washington Area Chapter of the Lambda Car Club. He was in
his element when he and his partner would go driving in his 1931
Pontiac that was spotlighted in the June 2005 "Out of the Past"
feature in The Washington Times automotive section. He created a
warm and inviting home with his partner of 14 years, Stephen J.
Kogut and their two beautiful miniature schnauzers that they adopted
from the Mid-Atlantic Schnauzer Rescue League. They had traveled
extensively throughout Europe and the United States, easily picking
up local languages and dialects. He was fortunate to have many,
close and caring friends both locally and abroad. Stephen is survived
by his partner Stephen J. Kogut, his mother Mary Kathryn Patrick,
his father William E. Patrick and his wife Martha, his sister Mary-
Beth Yachimowicz and her husband Louis, their two daughters, Eliza
and Julianna, his half sister Amanda Arment and her husband Joe,
and his half sister Jennifer Patrick and her son, Travis. He also
has numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins in the area. He will be
lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Stephen Patrick's memory
are welcome to the Huntington Heritage Society, Inc. PO Box 183
Bowie, MD 20719-0183.
Patrick (center) confers with Barbara O'Rourke (right) and Jim Lilly
(left) during a planning session at Bowie Tower for the Library
on May 12, 2007
Photo by Erik Delfino.
to the Patrick Family, the source of this wonderful information